Search Old News

U.S. Marshals Evict Madoff's Wife From $7 Million Penthouse

Friday, July 3, 2009
Windsor Genova - AHN News Writer New York, NY (AHN) - U.S. Marshals on Thursday evicted the wife of jailed Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff's from the couple's $7 million penthouse apartment in Manhattan and took custody of the property.
Ruth Madoff, 68, left the duplex at the Upper East Side mansion at noon, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshall's office of the Southern District of New York said, according to ABC News.
"Ruth left voluntarily and in an orderly manner to which all sides agreed," Her lawyer, Peter Chavkin, told Nypost.com.
The eviction and takeover of the penthouse at 133 E. 64th St. came three days after Bernard Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison for defrauding investors of millions in a Ponzi scheme. The government will sell the property to raise restitution funds for Madoff's victims.
Mrs. Madoff, who was not criminally charged in the fraud case, had agreed with federal authorities to surrender her husband's assets, including yachts and bank accounts, which would be liquidated to pay the duped investors.
Under the deal signed last week, Mrs. Madoff retained $2.5 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment